SSap Salt Spring Pet Friendly Accommodations (see Travel), Veterinary, Grooming and Training Services, Pet Shops and Dog Friendly Cafes, Hikes, Trails, Beaches and Parks. Our Ferries and Float planes welcome pets and all of this makes Salt Spring Island a premier vacation destination for Pet Owners. Dogs and Cats can stay in Cottages, Bed and Breakfasts, Inns, and Hotels.
Do NOTE: We are an island with livestock (sheep, goats, etc) and farmers can protect their livestock if your dog is chasing them, by shooting your pet. So please use this website to find the trails and beaches that are pet friendly and away from sheep farms as we want you and your pet to be safe…
What makes us so Pet Friendly?
- We have awesome Veterinary Services and Offices on SSI. If you have an emergency or need to consult one see our Services page
- If you have found a lost or injured dog Salty Dog Boarding Kennel at 250-210-4440 will take the dog in until their owner can be found. See our Services Page for more information on all their wonderful services.
- Pet water bowls sit outside some of our merchant’s doors like pet beacons see our Shop page
- Your dogs can join you when you shop in some of our stores like Mouats Trading, Foxglove Farm and Garden Supply, Whiskers Pet Store and Choices Clothing Store (Put pets are on leash ~ some folks are fearful of dogs)
- Most of our Hikes and Beaches are pet friendly (please clean up so they stay that way!)
See our Hikes and Beaches pages and the SS Adventure Map
- Our Saturday market (April to September) has a dog sitting service so you can enjoy the market while Fido plays
The service, run by our local SPCA is $10/hr for a maximum of two hours.Salt Spring has a fabulous fenced in Dog Park! See below for information and pictures about Paws in the Park
Close to downtown (Ganges) we have a lovely Dog Park. Take Rainbow Road off our main road (Fulford-Ganges). Just past the High School on your right you will turn into the same driveway for our Community Pool. To the left as you enter the parking lot is a fenced dog park. It has a well designed entrance with channels to two different fenced in areas so dogs can be separated (if they are not compatible). Please close and latch both gates when entering and exiting.
Please leash your dog from car to park. Inside the dog park is a picnic table, a couple lawn chairs and covered sitting area (thanks to our Lions Club!). The bulletin board on the way in has information on pet control on the island and there is a doggie bag dispenser area and garbage pail.
Note: For the health and well-being of our four legged friends:
- Never leave your dog unsupervised in the park
- Leave the park in the same pristine shape you find it in (pack out what you pack in)
- Dogs that are sick, in heat or aggressive should not visit the park
- Smoking is prohibited and food or glass containers should not be brought into the park
- Dogs who jump up, bark excessively or dig holes should not visit the park, until the owner/handler has this behavior under control.
See our Services page for Trainers who can help you
If in doubt, basic respect and park ethics are the rule! The park is not a children’s playground – it’s for Dogs!! It is not advisable to have small children in the park as they can look and sound like squeeky toys and smell good which means dogs will respond! It is potentially, not a safe environment for little folk if there are dogs that are unknown to you and your child. If you see anything that concerns you in the park contact SSI PARC at 250-537-4448. Our community is very grateful to Salt Spring PARC, CRD and our Lions Club for this fabulous Dog park and facilities.