Visit Salt Spring Island – A Pet Friendly Place To Be
Salt Spring Pet Friendly Accommodations, Dog Friendly Hikes, Trails, Beaches, Parks, Services, Shops, Cafes, Restuarants, Ferries and Airlines that welcome pets and make Salt Spring Island a premier vacation destination for Pet Owners. Dogs and Cats can stay in Cottages,Bed and Breakfasts, Inns, and Hotels. Island services for pets include: Spas, Dog Trainers, Groomers, Walkers and Pet Sitters. Whether you want to be Captain Fido on a boat, share a ball with a friend, beach comb, have a siesta, swim, run, drive around the island, enjoy gardens, play tug of war, hang with friends, march in our Pride Parade, visit our Fall Fair, Apple Festival, Saturday Market or see your Favourite Opera at ArtSpring- Salt Spring is a place to bring your humans! Do NOTE: We are an island with livestock (sheep, goats, etc) and farmers can protect their livestock if your dog is chasing them, by shooting your pet, so please use this website to find the trails and beaches that are pet friendly and away from sheep farms as we want you and your pet to be safe…
What makes us so Pet Friendly?
- We have awesome Vets if you have an emergency or need to consult one
- Pet water bowls sit outside some of our merchant’s doors like pet beacons
- Your dogs can join you when you shop in some of our stores like Mouats Trading, Foxglove Farm and Garden Supply, Whiskers Pet Store and Choices Clothing Store (be sure pets are on leash as some folks are fearful of dogs)
- Most of our Hikes and Beaches are pet friendly and some are off leash (please clean up so they stay that way!)
- Our Saturday market has a dog sitting service so you can enjoy the market while Fido plays
- We have dog spas, trainers, walking groups and an agility club
- Pets can shop for their own coats, treats and other goodies at our pet stores (the above and Country Grocer)
- We love pets, especially dressed up at our Fall Fair and in our Pride Parade!
Salt Spring has a fabulous fenced in Dog Park! See below for information and pictures about Paws in the Park
A Park for Dogs – Paws in the Park
Close to downtown (Ganges) we have a lovely Dog Park. Take Rainbow Road off our main road (Fulford-Ganges). Just past the High School on your right you will turn into the same driveway for our Community Pool. To the left as you enter the parking lot is a fenced dog park. It has a well designed entrance with channels to two different fenced in areas so dogs can be separated (if they are not compatible). Please close and latch both gates when entering and exiting.
Leashing your dog from your car into the fenced in areas is imperative. This will ensure they are not vulnerable to traffic coming and going out of the pool parking lot.
You will also have full control, if there are other dogs to greet along the way. Inside the dog park is a picnic table, a couple lawn chairs and covered sitting area (thanks to our Lions Club!). The bulletin board on the way in has information on pet control on the island and there is a doggie bag dispenser area and garbage pail.
Note: For the health and well-being of our four legged friends:
- Never leave your dog unsupervised in the park
- Leave the park in the same pristine shape you find it in (pack out what you pack in)
- Dogs that are sick, in heat or aggressive should not visit the park
- Smoking is prohibited and food or glass containers should not be brought into the park
- Dogs who jump up, bark excessively or dig holes should not visit the park, until the owner/handler has this behaviour under control.
See our Services page for Trainers who can help you
If in doubt, basic respect and park ethics are the rule! The park is not a children’s playground – it’s for Dogs!! It is not advisable to have small children in the park as they can look and sound like squeeky toys and smell good which means dogs will respond! It is potentially, not a safe environment for little folk if there are dogs that are unknown to you and your child. If you see anything that concerns you in the park contact SSI PARC at 250-537-4448. Our community is very grateful to Salt Spring PARC, CRD and our Lions Club for this fabulous Dog park and facilities.